Sunday, May 19, 2013
Bonnie Bucknam's work Tangle has been purchased by the Tuch + Technik Textilmuseum in Neumuenster, Germany to be part of their permanent collection. The Museum was the last stop on the Color Improvisations exhibit itinerary. That exhibit has now been dismantled and the unsold quilts returned to the artists. Tangle has found a new, permanent home abroad!
Tangle by Bonnie Bucknam
85" w x 87" h
Photos by Mark Frey
Friday, May 17, 2013
SAQA OREGON Meeting May 15, 2013 minutes taken by Jill Hoddick, who has volunteered to do this for each meeting. Thanks so much, Jill!
Diane Born, Chris Brown, Shirley MacGregor went to SAQA Conference in Santa Fe. Workshop highlights:
• Carol Ann Waugh speaking about Marketing Yourself and Your Business
• Shelly Zegart’s lecture on Why Quilts Matter (maybe part of this –What is an Art Quilt? - could be shown at the Conference in March??)
• Pat Holly discussing Hanging Shows
• Melissa J. White on Social Media
• Diane Nunez talking about Technology, Design, and Fiber
• Next conference will be next May in Alexandria, Virginia
There was a discussion about making a book of one’s work – as a portfolio, for clients, to sell etc. blurb.com was a site that Elizabeth and Bonnie have used and they showed wonderful examples. Elizabeth’s was filled with journal entries and tons of photos about a trip to Turkey while Bonnie’s was based on her work in Guatemala. Costs around $40 for 20 color pages and you can use text as well.
Sharry O. volunteered to organize and moderate a YahooGroup for SAQA Portland. Thank you Sharry! The SAQA Conference folks will put some of their handouts on the site when it is available.
Mary Ann talked about her trip to the AQS Paducah Quilt Show, The National Quilt Museum and Caryl Bryer Fallert’s Bryerpatch Studio.
Mary A and Bonnie gave us a rundown of their recent classes with Nancy Crow (Mary did not cry and got a compliment on her sense of proportion!!).
Several SAQA members are part of the HFD Elements show at the Walters Cultural Arts Center in Hillsboro. The show runs thru June 25. Reception on June 4, 6-8pm. 527 E. Main Street
Trisha Hassler will have an exhibit of the end of her steel work and showcasing new work at Waterstone Gallery in July. Reception is July 3.
• Wed. June 19 Steve Kaplan will give us a presentation on Resizing Digital Images and other issues in processing images for show entry
• July and August: Location TBA. Show and tell, critiques etc.
• September: Presentation by Terry Grant and Gerrie Congdon on setting up and managing websites and blogs.
• October: Presentation on writing Artist Statements by Trisha Hassler.
Monday, May 13, 2013
Misty Moonlight by Mary Arnold
The prospectus for the SAQA Oregon regional juried exhibit, “EXPLORING LAYERS”, is now available on the Exhibits page of this blog. Take a look!