Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Meet Oregon SAQA Co-Rep Marion Shimoda

Marion Shimoda of Aloha, Oregon
mshimoda.blogspot.com
 
SAQA Member Since 2010


 How would you describe the work that you make? Do you have an “elevator speech”? Have you found your artistic voice?
My work is improvisational.  It is playful and whimsical.
What brought you to making fiber art? What is your art, sewing, or fiber background? When did you make your first quilt that you considered “art”?
I have enjoyed making things with my hands since I was a child.  My mother introduced me to sewing and all sorts of crafts.  I made my first "art quilt" about five years ago.
Red Bloom by Marion Shimoda
Describe the steps involved in your art-making process.
When I begin working on a quilt I write down guiding words, collect and draw images, and give myself some general guidelines.  In my work I incorporate hand and machine piecing, hand applique, and hand and machine quilting.
What is your one favorite or most common source of inspiration?
My favorite source of inspiration is my everyday life.
Do you enter your work in shows? What would you say have been your top three exhibits?
Yes.  My top three exhibits were at QuiltCon 2015, 
Bias Petal Play by Marion Shimoda
Fabrications 2013
Whispering Curves by Marion Shimoda
and the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show.  

Abstract Grid by Marion Shimoda

I also exhibit work  with the Sisters Journeys Art Quilt group at venues in Oregon.
Describe your studio space.
I have dedicated rooms to work in and storage space.  In one location I have a sewing machine and ironing area permanently set up.  In a second location I have a loft studio and attic storage.  
How much time do you spend on your art? How do you balance your life between art, family, friends, day job, etc.?
On occasion I spend up to ten to twelve hours a day.  Often I spend just a few minutes a day.  Because my art is intriguing and fulfilling, I endeavor to make art a part of my everyday life. 
Do you work in other mediums or use unusual materials in your work?
I also do papercrafting and create sculptures with wire and found objects.  Spools, knitting needles, and other tools and materials from my craft rooms are integrated into my work.  Sculptures include people, animals, trees, flowers and vessels.

No comments:

Post a Comment